How To Embed A Video In PowerPoint
Adding videos to your PowerPoint presentations will get the message across easily with more impact. As humans, we respond more to visual stimuli combined with audio messages and this means video content is the way to go. This way, your PowerPoint presentations will have an exciting element that will keep the audience engaged with the videos.
You can create and edit videos to embed into the presentation to explain key points or create a focus around your brand. Here's how you can enable your brand to stand out even more, in case you're curious 😉
Moreover, you can add YouTube videos to the presentation for a smooth transition between the slides. These videos will help in captivating the attention of the audience and help them understand better. Besides, it will bring in more engagement to your content.
Benefits Of The Video In A PowerPoint Presentation 👏🏼
Videos can help you get the desired engagement in various forms. Here are some benefits of embedding videos in the presentation.
Break in the Monotony 🥱
As you know, videos are more successful in capturing human attention. If you are presenting, it may get monotonous with texts and pictures in your PowerPoint. You may feel that communication has reached an impasse because of a lack of layers in the information. Furthermore, you would not want to bore your audience with one fact after another.
Embedding videos in your presentation can rescue you from the embarrassment of being boring to the audience. It will also work in your favor as it will give you a needed break in between the presentation. You will also get to see the response of the audience towards the videos and their interests.
Using videos can turn out to be a useful tool to generate discussions with your audience. A variety of information in the videos will keep the audience glued while delivering a cohesive meaning to them, especially if it's an explainer video with loads of new facts and figures. The viewers will retain more information from videos in comparison to any other means.
Connect Emotionally 💁🏼♀️
“A viewer can experience a string of emotions with impactful videos. The audio and visual messages tend to have a long-lasting impact on the brain. Moreover, videos are enjoyable for the audience, and they can grasp the message better with the help of emotional cues.” says Milosz Krasinski MD, at Chillifruit.com
You can include a story, journey, or product history in videos to connect better with the audience. Learn how to use marketing techniques to promote a new product, including Facebook ads and other social media platforms. This will help you create a wider audience and potential customer base through marketing.
Impactful Communication 🗣
Your presentation may be hours long, which may feel nearly impossible to finish in one go. Besides, you will lose out on communication and engagement with the audience. To keep your audience engaged, use short videos of 30-60 seconds to bring back the interest.
Use colors, graphics, animations and images that pop out and are relatable for the viewers. This will help in establishing an impactful communication even in the long hours of presentation. Besides, keep the message easy to understand for everyone. You can also include some jokes and sarcastic information to have some fun. Furthermore, you can play interactive games and questionnaires with such videos to boost audience participation.
Increase in Sales 📈
This is useful when you are considering to generate business from the videos in the presentation. Surveys conclude that customers respond better with video ads and infomercials. They feel more interested as they know more through the videos. This may help you get more potential clients and turn them into long term ones.
The time and efforts to create and embed the videos are fruitful as the sales increase with video marketing. You can reach more people through videos, even on hard-to-follow subjects. About 80% of video marketers claim that there was an improvement in sales with videos. For instance, creating a video on how to start a streaming service like Netflix will be more welcomed by the fans as they learn more from this medium.
Add Suspense 😱
You can add an element of surprise and create suspense in the audience with the videos in the presentation. The sound effects and visuals will tie your presentation information together while keeping the audience engrossed. Make sure that your video goes along with the theme and adds some unique information to the presentation. You can use tools like Pinnacle Studio and Avid Media Composer to edit your videos. You can also edit the videos on your iPhone to save some time, if that's your jam.
How To embed A video In PowerPoint 🧑🏼💻
When you are learning how to embed a video in PowerPoint, note that it will differ depending upon the version and your computer system. Before embedding a video, you need to create one or download it. Here is how you can embed the video from your system,
1.The first thing is to ensure that your PC has the latest official update. This will run the video smoothly.
2. Now, open the slide you wish to add the video to in the presentation. You can embed the videos to any number of slides. However, the addition of several videos will increase the size of your presentation file.
3. Click on the insert tab that has various options such as video, picture, and clip art.
4. Select the video option from the media section. A menu will appear on the screen and ask you to select a video from the PC. Select Movie from File option if you are using a mac.
5. Select the video you wish to add from the file explorer option. See that different PowerPoint versions support various video formats. The 2016 version supports most of the file types, including MKV and MP4. The 2010 version supports the least number of video formats.
6. To avoid any issues in playing video, avoid using AVI format as it needs added codecs. You can learn how to convert AVI files to MP4 files here.
7. The video will take a little time to embed, depending upon its size. You will be able to view the progress on the screen while waiting.
8. Click on the Playback tap to adjust the settings of the video by selecting the same video.
10. You can change the play settings of the video as its automatic play settings will require a click to play. By using the start drop-down menu, you can change it to play as the slide opens.
11. Furthermore, you can loop and rewind the video automatically by clicking on the suitable options.
12. You can use the click-drag option to reposition the video. Also, resize the video by dragging the corners. Using the Play Full-Screen option and Star Automatically option, your video will be the full-screen size and start without requiring a command when the slide opens.
13. After the video is correctly embedded in your slide, save the presentation. Just click on save to save the presentation along with the video without any additional steps.
How To Embed A YouTube Video In PowerPoint 💁🏻♂️
You can also embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint and play it with a working internet connection. There is a limitation of embedding YouTube videos only in PowerPoint 2016, 2013, and 2010. You cannot embed YouTube videos to the Mac versions of PowerPoint. Here’s how you can embed YouTube Video to your presentation:
- Go to the YouTube video you wish to add to your slide.
- Click on the Share option of the video page, and you will see various sharing options.
- Now, click on the Embed tap from the Share option. You will see a code that will embed the video. Copy this code by pressing Ctrl+C or right-click and then click Copy.
4. Go to the slide in the PowerPoint presentation to embed this code.
5. Click on the Insert tab. There will be various insert options, including the Video from the Media.
6. Select the Online Video option or Video from Web Site option if you are using PowerPoint 2010.
7. Insert the code of the video by Paste embed code here box. You can use the Ctrl+V command or right-click and select paste.
8. This may require a little time, depending upon your internet connection and duration of the video.
9. The video will appear on the slide, which may look like a black box on the slide, which is normal.
10. You can click on the Playback tap to change the video play options. Use the Start drop-drag menu to change the video to play automatically when the slide opens. This is to ensure the video plays on the slide. Your video will not play if you forget to choose options from the Start menu.
11. The video will need a high-speed internet connection to play smoothly, so make sure you are connected to one. There is no way to play a YouTube video offline in the presentation. The embedded link does not add the whole video to the slide; hence it needs the internet connection to play it.
12. You can add as many relevant videos to the slides by following the same steps.
Now you know how to embed video in to your PowerPoint presentations (hopefully 🤞🏽) and you can go ahead and make your videos more fun, engaging and lively.
This post was written by Maksym Babych. Maksym is the CEO at SpdLoad with 7+ years in of experience in product development for early-stage startups. He's also an adviser at Startup Chile and Startplatz.